Saturday 2 June 2012

Another Diamond Jubilee very soon?

The UK news is dominated this weekend by the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, which, to judge by the TV coverage of today's [sponsor's name I refuse to mention] Epsom Derby, is in danger of being subsumed beneath crass and unsubtle advertising. Queen Victoria would not have been amused.

That being the case, I think it's time I banged the drum for my 'home' writers' group, Verulam Writers' Circle, which is approaching its own 60th anniversary very soon.

Despite today's tacky, un-British showing, we Brits have many reasons to remain proud of the United Kingdom. I consider myself fortunate to have been born an Englishman, so I am a lucky man indeed to be a member of Verulam Writers' Circle too.

In case you're wondering what I'm so enthusiastic about, please have a little taster from the latest edition of the excellent Verulam Writers' Circle newsletter, Veracity.

Here's wishing friends in the UK and worldwide a relaxing and memorable weekend. Do watch the river pageant, the concert and the parades if you are able to, wherever you may be. If you can attend the live events - well, lucky you. They should be truly spectacular, and, I sincerely hope, less tainted by commercial bad taste than was the Epsom Derby.


No comments:

Post a Comment