Tuesday 13 December 2011

Christmas Offerings from Oscar

These final countdown weeks of 2011 have been an interesting time for me.

Somehow I managed to scrape through to the penultimate round of the hectic New York City Midnight Flash Fiction Challenge, one of 100 contestants whittled down from 480 starters. If any of you short fiction writers haven't yet tried NYCM competitions, I strongly recommend that you should have a go. Be warned though that you will have to be disciplined to work against the clock. In the FF Challenge this means writing a story of up to 1000 words in 48 hours. That does get the creative juices flowing, believe me.

In November Every Day Poets published my World War 1 prose poem Farewell Sweet Molly Brown. I don't consider myself to be poet, so this result came as a very pleasant surprise. In fact, that small success prompted me to attempt my first recorded reading,  on Audioboo.

New York seems to have been lucky for me this year, because today The View From Here has put the icing on my Christmas cake, by  publishing my short story Nighthawks: A Fable of New York.

I hope you might perhaps have time to read/listen to my offerings. If you do, please let me know what you think.

I'd like to wish any poor lonely souls who happen to find themselves in my humble blog, a very happy Christmas - or whatever this season may be to you - and a healthy and peaceful New Year 2012.

As ever, help yourselves to tea and biccies, but please do turn the lights off when you leave.


6 comments:

  1. Loved the Nighthawks story. Have a great Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pete, for reading and for your kind comments. Have a great one yourself, matey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. I've always liked that one. Very seasonal too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jon. It's always been a favourite of mine from the VWC President's Competition when it scored runner up in an earlier version. This version has found a great home at the right time of year. Cheers. I guess we won't be seeing you at VWC tomorrow? I wish you and yours a great Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news Oscar. All the best for 2012, ol' pal :)

    ReplyDelete